As a rule I prefer not to compile custom kernels on rpm and apt based distros unless absolutely necessary. If I know I am going to have to customise the kernel before hand, I prefer to use a source based distro such as Gentoo. That way there is nothing that gets in your way of the simple, make menuconfig=>make install=>make modules=>make modules_install=>mkinitrd (if necessary) recipe for success. Most times for debian and redhat based distros you can get by with just installing the kernel headers and then building your special module form there.
Mark Clarke's blog
Recently we had to take over a project where the original developers had decided to use Microsoft's active server pages (asp) as the development language. We had to temporarily maintain this site while it was re-developed in Drupal. Needless to say this was a nightmare.
By default Xandros Scalix edition runs the Scalix web front-end on port 9090. This is quiet annoying as in most cases the mail server is dedicated and you won't be running any other services on it. Least of all another web service running on port 80. In addition most clients expect just to type in a normal looking url and trying to explain port mappings to their users is just a pain.
Hardy Heron was officially released last week and has been receiving rave reviews across the Internet. I had upgraded my home machine to the beta version of Hardy about a week before the official release and must say I was impressed . I waited for the official release before upgrading my work laptop.
On my home machine I have been running Gentoo for years. Using Gentoo has been a real good, if some what painful way to learn how Linux works deep down inside and how open source applications come together to provide a complete solution . Over time though the productivity drain has just become too much. After my last kernel recompile my audio went. The latest alsa drivers would not work, so I thought - stuff it. Time to switch the last remaining computer to Ubuntu. Now I can have bleeding edge without the pain.
When telkom screws your Asterisk server
Sometimes you get a call for Asterisk support and you are told by your client that their Asterisk server suddenly stopped working which is weird because once Asterisk, or any Linux application, has been setup it just runs.
Recently we have been working on an existing mobile application for one of our clients, mobiguide. The original app, which we completed, was written for the cldc 1.1 and midp 2.0 api. We got reports that there where problems with the Sony Ericsson P900/P990 phones.
Recently we had to migrate a Scalix installation from Fedora to Xandros Server and at the same time upgrade from 11.0.1 to 11.3. The site had over 200 user accounts. At first I thought this would be a difficult task but it turned out to be relatively simple thanks to the fact that, being a minor version upgrade there was no major changes in the database and file structure.